- This event has passed.
Virtual Tour of Echternach, Luxembourg
Free – $5.00
Join Georges Calteux for a virtual tour of Echternach.
He will share Echternach’s storied past, some of its recognizable locations, and its beloved traditions. Georges will also briefly discuss the tragic recent floods that forced evacuations in the area.
This program will be offered through Zoom on Saturday, November 20, at 11am Central Time.* Members, please sign in when requesting your ticket.** The Zoom link will be emailed after ticket purchase, and we will send a reminder email a day before the event.
About Georges Calteux:
Georges Calteux was born in Luxembourg in 1936. After art and architecture studies in Nancy, Brussels and Vienna, he worked as an art teacher from 1967 to 1977, when he entered the “Service des Sites et Monuments Nationaux” (Luxembourg Department of Conservation) of which he assumed the Direction from 1982-2004. As such Calteux was in charge of supervising numerous restoration assignments, and he showcased numerous cultural heritage projects, winning national and international acclaim.
His undertakings related to Luxembourgers in the United States, and within the activities of the “Lëtzebuerger Kultur an Amerika” and “The Roots and Leaves Association” societies, include:
- Conference talks on Luxembourg traditional architecture
- Concert tours with the Troaterbattien music band
- Creator of the Cigrand bust at the Fredonia Flag Museum
- Design of entrance of Belgium, WI City Hall
- Design of interior and exhibition furniture of the Roots and Leaves Museum in Belgium, WI
- Design of the Luxembourg American Family Tree sculpture at the LACS Welcome Center
- Restoration of Luxembourg stone houses in the Midwest (Marnach house, Elba, MN; Gehlen house, St. Donatus, IA, Sinnen House, (now at) Ozaukee County Pioneer village, US
- Publication of “Luxembourg Houses in America,” as Volume 3 of his book series “d’Lëtzebuerger Bauerenhaus”
*This program was previously scheduled for November 21; it has been rescheduled for November 20.
**Tickets are per device. So if multiple people plan to watch from the same computer, only one ticket is needed.